I Regret Having Left Poetry: Madhuri's Interview by Oneindia Entertainment


A beautiful interview with Madhuri Dixit Nene by: entertainment.oneindia.in

Madhuri Dixit Nene made a 'blasting' re-entry with an item dance in Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani. Though her just released film Dedh Ishqiya did not get a grand opening at the box office as compared to the sequel Ishqiya, the film is forging ahead, thanks to Madhuri Dixit and Naseeruddin's name associated with it, and ofcourse due to Arshad Warsi's mind-blowing comic timing.

In a chit-chat with Sonika Mishra from Oneindia, Madhuri Dixit spoke in detail about her upcoming film Gulaab Gang and her just-released film Dedh Ishqiya. Madhuri also spoke about her children, husband and even shared her incomplete desires with us.

Here are some excerpts from the interview with Madhuri Dixit Nene...

You have already begun the year with strong woman-oriented roles with Dedh Ishqiya (You assessed the role of Begum Para) and now as a leader of a women's organisation in Gulab Gang. How do you feel about this?

Begum Para in Dedh Ishqiya is a beautiful character, who loves poetry. I am presently assessing the role of a leader of a woman's organisation. This organisation not only helps women, but everybody who need help. So, in a whole my role in both my initial films of the year is strong and woman-centric.



You have made a comeback in Bollywood with two powerful roles after a long hiatus. What are the changes you notice in Bollywood as compared to the 90's? Which is the character that you long to portray in your films?

I have no such favourite character to speak about. The more intense the character, the more I enjoy playing the role. I thing cinema has come a long way and this is the best time for heroines. Actresses are not viewed just as an 'eye candy' and are given good and meaty roles.

Director Abhishek Chaubey said that after you wanted a role like that of Vidya Balan in Ishqiya. You have always been oriented with family oriented movies like Beta, Dil Tho Pagal Hai, Hum Aapke Hai Kaun. What then prompted you to try out a bold character like this?

When I was narrated the story of Dedh Ishqiya and was told about my character in the film, I was super excited! Begum Para in Dedh Ishqiya is multi-facaded and that's exactly the reason why I gave a nod to the film. When I did Mritudand, many had questioned my decision, but that was my personal choice and Dedh Ishqiya too is my choice! I never faced any problem during the making of the film.



You would have definitely watched Ishiya. What is your opinion about Vidya Balan as an actress?

Vidya Balan is a beautiful and an excellent actress. Vidya was stupendous in Ishqiya as well as other films like The Dirty Picture. So, I am definitely not competing with Vidya, but only tried to justify my role in the film.

Who do you think is your opponent today in Bollywood? 
Since this is a very creative field, I don't see anybody as my opponent. Everybody is doing their job here. All that matters to me is my work and my aim is always to do better.

Do you also like other stars give importance to the '100 Crore Club' and how important it is that your film should be included in the Rs. 100 crore club?
The 100 crore club is of no importance to me, and I don't work to be included in the 100 crore or 200 crore club. In earlier times, films used to be called silver jubilee, golden jubilee, etc. But ofcourse, there is a lot of difference between cinema 'then' and cinema 'now'. In those days, there were lesser number of theatres in the city than it is today. Today films release together in theatres and the price too has increased.



Actresses today are more open-minded and are quite connected with their fans. What do you think about the life of heroines today? 

A lot has changed over a period. In earlier times, we use to do only 1-2 interviews and never ventured out to promote our films. But today, actresses have to work harder, especially for the promotion of their films.

How do your children feel about relocating to India? 

What is it that they miss now? My children enjoy living in India and they love the 'open and frank' atmosphere out here and they like the atmosphere in school as well. However, they miss the open space and parks in foreign countries. As far as I am concerned, I have always enjoyed living in Mumbai. For me, it's like coming back home.

Do you feel that even today, Bollywood is male dominated? 

Even today actors easily get to do lead roles even after crossing the age of 40. However, it doesn't happen much in the case of actresses. Besides, heroines are made much lesser than heroes. But this is the case not only in films, but every sphere of life. I feel even today that women have to work much harder than men to prove their potential. However, things have changed a little now.



Since you have begun working once again, are you able to give enough time to your family? 

My family comes first to me. Since I have returned to Mumbai, I have always adjusted my work in such a manner that I am able to give enough time to my husband and children. This, I think is the story of every working woman, not just actresses.

After Devdas, you worked with Birju Maharaj for the second time in Dedh Ishqiya. How was the experience. Remo Fernandes also choreographed a song in the film. What do you have to say about the dance number? 

The choreography in Dedh Ishqiya was brilliant. Remo too did an outstanding job of the dance sequence considering that it was not at all his style or genre! In fact, I myself was shocked seeing his work. In once dance choreographed by Birju Maharaj, I only had to emote in the entire song, with zero lipsing. That was delightful and I totally enjoyed that.



Begum Para in Dedh Ishqiya loved poetry. Does Madhuri Dixit too enjoy poetry? 

There was a time in my life when I wrote verses and poetry since I always loved Urdu. I late gave up that hobby which I regret till date. I have always loved the works of Gaalib, Mir and Faiz.

Was your wedding to Dr. Nene a sudden decision or a well-thought of act since he is not from the industry? 

When I first met Dr. Nene, I did not even know that he was a doctor. I liked him as a person and as we kept meeting each other more often, we became close and decided to get married.

How was your experience working with Naseeruddin Shah?

My chemistry with Naseeruddin Shah was awesome. I never felt any sort of embarrassment while acting with Naseeruddin Shah. The script of the film is also important in ascertaining the chemistry between the actors.



Comments